The world of entrepreneurship is filled with risk, fear, paralysis, joy, concern, excitement and everything else in between. It’s a journey unlike any other and can often feel like a very lonely path.
Over the years, I’ve had the pleasure of connecting with many entrepreneurs, listening to their amazing stories and advising them on how to enhance their businesses and life. During this time, I’ve noticed that a common theme arises more often than not, one that hinders our performance to do our life’s best work.
In today’s extremely noisy, busy and fast paced world, it’s not uncommon to feel flat, disconnected and alone. This feeling of disconnect often leaves one feeling tired, unfocused and confused with what our life’s purpose is actually all about.
As entrepreneurs, I’m sure you’ll agree, when we head down this path, life can feel extremely challenging. Wins seem rare and we are constantly questioning whether we’re on the right path in our pursuit for happiness and fulfillment.
I know this because I’ve been here… several times.
I’m not saying that we’re all feeling like this, some of us are more acutely aware of how we create happiness and abundance in life, but more often than not, life as an entrepreneur (especially the early years), can often feel like we’re stuck in terms of where we’re going and why we’re doing what we’re doing. And even if we’re on a roll we still fall down occasionally and that’s OK. It’s all part of the journey and we can begin to learn how to embrace the highs and lows of the entrepreneurial game.
Look, I don’t want to sound bleak here, but I want to get real and honest with you for a minute, but bear with me, because I’ll share something that can and will change your mindset (If you’re willing to participate).
What I’m getting at is that this lack of clarity, lack of time and lack of control can lead us to feeling scared, sad and at times a little depressed.
So today, I want to provide you with something that I’ve learnt over the past 18 months in terms of helping find some light. A set of small daily practices that have helped me come out of my own dark cave and start living life as the best version of myself.
NOTE: The only way to make this work is to start by choosing one of the below practices a day and make that your focus for the day. You just have to start somewhere and take action. Over time, you’ll begin to add more and more to your daily practice, enhancing your life and working towards being the BEST version of yourself.
So here’s a list of 21 super simple, yet highly effective daily practices, (thanks to James Altucher) that when put into action can have a very real positive impact in anyone’s life:
1. Sleep 8 hours one night. Sleep has been proven to be a key ingredient to ensure happiness, productivity and success.
2. Go with no TV for an entire day, or if you don’t watch TV then swap it out with your iPhone, email or social media.
3. Skip one of your meals.
4. Eliminate junk food – drop all processed foods from your diet for a day!
5. No complaining for 1 whole day, this one day alone can have a huge impact on your life and mindset.
6. Return an email to someone that you received 5 years ago. Seriously, you’ll be surprised at what can happen when you do this!
7. Express thanks to a friend. Give them a call today, let them know why they mean so much to you.
8. Watch a funny movie or a stand-up comedy routine. Life should be filled with laughter!
9. Don’t compare yourself to others for a day. Consciously focus on what you’re doing and forget about everyone else.
10. Write down a list of 10 random ideas. They don’t have to be business related; for example ’10 ideas to make the world a cleaner place’ or ’10 ideas to improve a golf club’.
11. Say to yourself when you wake up ‘I’m going to save a life today’ and keep an eye out for when that happens! For example: when you sell a product or service, help answer someone’s questions or smile at a passing stranger. Every little gesture can make a world of difference.
12. Write down your entire daily schedule, the one you normally do every day, including waking up, brushing your teeth, eating breakfast, reading emails, Then cross one thing out that you’re going to ignore for the day. Simplifying life is a game changer.
13. Think of 10 people you are grateful for, write them down and why you’re grateful for them.
14. Forgive someone. You can either call them and let them know or write it down on paper and then burn it. Studies have shown both have the same effect.
15. Take the stairs one day everywhere you go.
16. Don’t say YES to something when you know you want to say NO. Be honest with yourself and your respondent and see what happens.
17. Tell someone you love them every single day. Call them and let them know.
18. Take the time to give your body a really good scrub using an exfoliate. You’ll feel lighter, more relaxed and ready to tackle the world’s biggest problems.
19. Read a chapter in a biography of someone who inspires you.
20. Make plans to spend time with a good friend and put it in your calendar.
21. Spend 10 minutes practicing some deep breathing. Don’t worry about what you think about, just practice the breathing.
Always remember, life isn’t about some glorious end destination, (often that end destination feels nothing like you’d planned) it’s about the little magical moments that happen each and every minute of your life. So take the time to embrace them. Ease up on yourself, slow it down, and begin to love the world around you.
In the wise words of Ferris Bueller – “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around every once in a while, you could miss it!”
So tell me in the comments below, what are you going to practice today?